Friday, June 1, 2007

15 MINUTES SIMULATION.

Introduction:
Knock, Knock.
HI!! Good morning, Mr...... I am Dr. …… Its nice to meet you. What brings you in today?

History:
At least 4/ 5 cases would be pain case. So LIQORAAA, + PAMHUGFOSS.. with show of concern and compassion all the time.
Use transitional sentences time and again.
Make a note about smoking, Alcoholic habit, diet, exercise, occupation and sexual habits, because they all need to be addressed at the time of counseling.
If you have enough time at the end of history, just summarize what you have learnt from the history. That re-emphasizes the history and makes the conversation more natural and you can double check the facts.
For eg; “ Well!! Mr ....., you said that you are having pain…….., associated with vomiting ….. and you’ve been smoking since…., having multiple sexual partners. Is that it? Is there anything else you would like to tell me about?”

Physical Examination:
Don’t waste too much time in physical examination , as it counts along with history and overall case approach together as Clinical encounter, and you should also preserve as much time as possible for counseling.
Eg,
Okay, Mr ......., Now I would like to do some physical examinations on you, for that I need to untie your gown. Is that alright?
Thank you.
If the pt resists: “Mr ........., I could understand your feelings, but to clearly understand the disease I have to do this examination, it wont take more than a minute. Don’t worry I am here to assist you, I will tell you whatever I am going to do. Is that Okay with you?”

At the end of physical examination: “Thank you for being so cooperative Mr Bush.”

Patient Counselling:
Try to counsel the patients in at least 8 to 9 cases out of 12. This is the part I think that contributes a lot to interpersonal communication skill. Though interpersonal skills is overall evaluation of how friendly, concerned and compassionate you are to the SPs, but still Counselling time is a time to show concern and make the SP feel that you really care for overall betterment of the patients condition. So try to save time at least 2 to 3 minutes of the encounter for Counselling.
Simulated counseling:
Okay, Mr Bush, Now I would like to sit down and tell you what I think so far. From your history and physical examination, I think it’s a case of ………….. ?? , (eg, Appendecitis, TB etc, whatever diagnosis you think of) , but there are few other possibilities in my mind. To be absolutely sure I have to run few tests and imaging studies. As soon as the report of the tests and imaging studies come back, we would sit down again and discuss the further manangement plan. Is that all right?!!
Meanwhile, I would like to advise you regarding few things. You have been smoking for such a long time. I would strongly advise you to stop smoking as it has a lot of negative impacts on your health. Also you should cut taking alcohol. About your sexual habits ………………. I recommend you to have enough exercise. (If possible, be specific about how much n all) and dietery habits.

AT LAST:
Don’t forget to ask “Do you have any further questions for me?”
Thank you Mr ....... It was nice meeting you. We ll be meeting again soon. See you.

No comments: